If you are starting to notice clusters of dead flies in your home, expect it to get worse as this situation can be attributed to the upcoming warm weather in the coming months ahead. In this article, we tell you how you can better prepare yourself for the common tropical pests and when it gets out of hand, pest control services will then have the help you will need.
In Singapore, April is usually the hottest month of the year, followed by May. The common tropical pests that you might probably see more often during this period will be mosquitoes, flies and midges. While some can be harmless, they can be a nuisance when they are present as we carry out our daily activities, particularly midges as they fly around in swarms.
Mosquitoes suck on human blood while on the other hand, flies feed on organic decaying matter such as overripe fruits and vegetables. Needless to say, they can become carriers of certain diseases, responsible for the spread of harmful microbes. As a result, they will become more than a disturbance the longer they stay in your home.
TAKE A LOOK AT THESE PREVENTIVE MEASURES YOU CAN TAKE, BOTH INDOORS AND OUTDOORS, TO KEEP THESE PESTS AT BAY:
- Fix any leaks in pipes, sinks, tubs or toilets that would otherwise become prone to pooling. This is to prevent mosquitoes from making a breeding ground out of these areas. With that being said, ensure that there is no stagnant water around your premises. Additionally, some insects prefer moist, humid environments, thus if the inside of your house is humid, you can consider dehumidifying your place.
- When you properly store and dispose of food, you can reduce the likelihood of a fly infestation. While the kitchen is often the first place that pests head to first, if you have children at home, you probably know how often they snack and that can potentially leave tiny grains behind. Keep an eye out for any leftover food crumbs or water and clean them up the moment you notice anything. Whichever spot left untouched, those dreaded creepy crawlies are sure to find them.
- If possible, pull out large appliances and furniture such as your sofa and washing machine to clean under and behind them. It is a good practice to do once in a while as these areas are often left neglected to collect dust and are bound to become breeding grounds for any insect.
- For condominiums and private properties, this is also the best time to trim any bushes, shrubs or weeds from around the perimeter of the house, gardens or balconies. Remove any piles of leaves that has accumulated as they can become nesting spots for any pest.
- And while you are at it, inspect both the exterior and interior of your house for any cracks or crevices. Even the smallest opening gives them an opportunity to invade your home, so it is important to seal them quickly. To keep them from entering your home, you can also use door sweeps to seals gaps between the bottom of the door and the threshold.
According to an article by Channel NewsAsia in 2016, due to hot and wet weather conditions, businesses were affected by the sudden and unexpected swarm of midges. Ms Saadiah, who works at the Mr Prata outlet at Block 746 Bedok Reservoir Road had said: “When our lights are on, it gets worse. It’s pretty scary, a whole ‘family’… they would stick to the wall, get into the kitchen. It really affects our business. Last month, we had to close for about 15 minutes, cover all our food, turn off the lights, and clean the area.”
Hence, to not make your customers lose appetite, the above following steps can be done in businesses as well. If you are a business owner, consider installing small mesh screens to prevent their entry into your place. Especially since midges are attracted to light sources, these mesh screens will come in handy in reducing their numbers around your business premises closer into the night.
In order to rule out potential risks, you might want to consider residential pest control services in Singapore for customized solutions suited for your pest problem. As the temperature rise, these flying insects may find its way into your home or business and if you need help eradicating them, we are always here to help!